Freitag, 22. April 2011

Varanasi - where death and life come together

...my last stop in India was Varanasi. After Sikhism and Buddhism I was curious what Varanasi had to offer. Varanasi is the oldest city in the world (more than 3000 years old). It is a holy city, the city of Lord Shiva, situated on the bank of the sacred river, the Ganga.

It is the most popular pilgrimage point for the Hindus. In Hinduism it is believed that those who die and are cremated here get an instant gateway to liberation from the cycle of births and re-births.

Varanasi is famous as the city of temples. In Varanasi, there are temples at every few places.




Sunrise in Varanasi at the Ghats, my 1st morning in Varanasi



old man meditating on the Ganges
It's magical - just sitting at the Ganges and watching the boatmen.
The Ganga Ghats (river front) are the most popular pilgrimage spot of Varanasi and are centers of music and learning. The holy city has been a symbol of spiritualism, philosophy and mysticism for thousands of years and has produced great saints and personalities.

foot-bath in the Ganges

Daily Hindu ritual for purification and blessings at the Ganges.

Indian Sadhu

The Lassi's in Varanasi are one of their kind, specially in the Blue Lassi shop, where I went everyday.


Strolling through the streets of Varanasi I found:

Wall paintings

Sari production

Sales woman


Varanasi was a great final for my month in India - I've seen what I came for and enjoyed every single moment.

...my first Shiva fruit, it has a cooling effect fr the stomach, much needed in 35 degrees Celsius.





With this I am saying "Good bye" to India, I will miss the people, food, smells, music, beauty and craziness of this incredible country but I am excited to explore Nepal, with all its beauty of the Himalayas and more:

Crossing the border from India to Nepal on foot - my Nepal adventure can begin - Namaste!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen